Our Legislators Need to Hear From Us!!
Martha Pacini, COVE President – January 28, 2014
So far, we know of five Victoria Estates households that have written to our legislators about their feelings regarding city-hood. Thanks to these five neighbors—this is an important issue and our legislators need to know our opinions on this matter. We need at least 20 neighbors to write in to have an impact, so please send in your comments this week! If you’ve written, but didn’t want to share it with us, please just let us know that you wrote.
Below is the “how-to” we previously sent you:
Over the course of numerous meetings that several of us in Victoria Estates have attended in the last few days, the Legislative Delegation had made it clear that it is imperative that Victoria Estates and Mason Mill neighbors must weigh in with our DeKalb County representatives and senators regarding our wishes when it comes to the various city-hood bills or a preference for a moratorium. Without our input, we run the risk of allowing the Legislature to cast this issue along stark demographic lines, which would not reflect the variety of commitments that Victoria Estates or Mason Mill embraces. The Legislative Delegation must hear from our neighborhoods by the end of this week as things are moving quickly, and if we want our opinions to count, they need to hear them now.
Here are some pointers for your email:
1. In the subject line state “In Favor of Moratorium,” “In Favor of Briarcliff,” or “In Favor of Lakeside.”
2. In the first sentence, state (1) that you live in the Victoria Estates neighborhood; (2) the reason you are writing (i.e., you want a moratorium or you are in support of one of the city-hood bills).
3. Add brief bullets (3-4 are best) regarding your reasons. Keep it short.
4. Put your name and address on the bottom of the email so they know from whom it came.
5. Copy the block of addresses and paste them into the address line of your email (this will send your email to each of the County’s legislators):
Emanuel.Jones@senate.ga.gov; Fran.Millar@senate.ga.gov; Jason.Carter@senate.ga.gov; Gail.Davenport@senate.ga.gov; Steve.Henson@senate.ga.gov; Ronald.Ramsey@senate.ga.gov; Gloria.Butler@senate.ga.gov; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com ; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com ; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org ; email@example.com ; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
6. Special request: forward a copy of the email to COVE at firstname.lastname@example.org—we are trying to keep track of our neighbors’ opinions on this important issue.