DeKalb County Zoning Change
COVE president Martha Pacini has been following developments concerning the new zoning code proposed for DeKalb County. This is a major overhaul to the ordinance and has potentially significant implications to our neighborhood and surrounding areas.
One of the attendees at the July COVE meeting said that he had been following the zoning code rewrite and that it would allow our area to be declared an urban enterprise zone because of the number of students who have no employment, essentially paving the way to put a McDonalds on Houston Mill.
While this has not been substantiated, it illustrates the importance of monitoring this carefully. Anyone who can join Martha and others in attending these meetings and digging deeper into the potential impact to the neighborhood would be helpful. This will also be a great topic of question for Kathie Gannon and Jeff Rader at our August 29 meeting.
The next draft of the code will be published on the DeKalb County website on September 15 and there is a public meeting scheduled for October 7. You may find more information here: http://planningdekalb.net/?page_id=756
Via Kathy Gannon’s office, the schedule is as follows:
———- Forwarded message ———-
From: Fox, Davis <email@example.com>
Date: Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 5:47 PM
Subject: Zoning Code Re-write schedule
New Zoning Code Review Schedule (August 13, 2013)
· August 21st Board of Commissioners agenda item for the proposed zoning code will be deferred to November
· August 29th – Complete legal review by Law Department and outside counsel Jarrard and Davis
· September 10th – Planning Department presents revisions to Planning and Economic Development Committee of the Board of Commissioners 2PM Maloof Bldg 5th Floor
· September 15th – Pond and Company completes revisions and posts revised code on County website
· September 16th – Public meeting specifically on cell towers (time and place TBD)
· September 24th – Planning Department presents revisions to Planning and Economic Development Committee of the Board of Commissioners 2PM Maloof Bldg 5th Floor
· October 7th – Public meeting to discuss zoning code. Time and place TBD, but probably an evening meeting at Maloof auditorium. Same format as previous meeting with discussion tables.
· October 10th – Pond completes final revisions
· November 7th – Planning Commission Public Hearing (night meeting)
· November 19th – Board of Commissioners Public Hearing (night meeting)
· January 1, 2014 – Effective date for new zoning code
· August – December – Staff training on revised code, procedures and fees
Policy and Projects Manager for
DeKalb County Commissioner Kathie Gannon for District 6